Thursday, March 26, 2009

Storytelling with the help of an i-phone

During my break, I drove to Philadelphia and watched the Philadelphia Orchestra perform Stravinsky's Firebird Suite. After the performance, I had lunch with my friend and a member of the orchestra who I studied with the past two years, and occasionally still see. I had no intention of writing about this event, and it was not until a few days later that I noticed some interesting things about it.
He told us about the orchestra's recent tour - which took them to the Canary Islands and throughout Europe. Usually when I hear about or read about orchestra tours, the information is general, the speech is 'flowery', and the orchestra's amazing performances are thoroughly praised. However, in this experience, I heard little about these things. Instead, my teacher talked about a scuba diving excursion that he and other members took off the coast of the islands. With extreme enthusiasm, he told me about all the different fish he saw, chasing a baby octupus, and swimming with a massive school of fish. This was all very interesting, but to add to it, he showed me about 50 pictures on his i-phone, that added a picture to his words. While reading through First Time for class, I noticed that while Price uses archival documents and engravings to support the first time stories. In a parallel modern day way, I felt my teacher's story was supported and made more exciting by his i-phone pictures. Though this is nothing ground-breakingly-incredible, I just found it interesting to see how we support our experiences with modern technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment