Thursday, March 26, 2009

Constructing History

During spring break, I went to an art magazine release party for the very first time in Brooklyn. The reason I went to this event is because my brother was featured in the magazine. Throughout the past, my bother would tell me stories about the fun and excitement that he usually had when attending these magazine release parties. He described it so vivid, as seeing lines of people outside of the revenue, and the place was always filled with people. Nonetheless, some of friends were attending the magazine release party. My expectations about this particular event were very high because they were featuring some great hip-hop artists, and well-known producers. I did my research on the past events, and from looking at the photos, I could already tell that I was going to like it. The photos on the website showed well-known artists and musicians from around the world.

As we drove up to the location, I first noticed that there was not a line of people. Which was an indication that this was not a very popular nightclub. As I went inside the place, I suddenly became very disappointed. The place was nearly empty, and I was told no one was performing throughout the night. Overall, hearing the stories, and viewing photos from past events was the result of having high expectations about the art magazine release party. In many ways this was considered collective memory from my bother’s point of view. The photos shown on the Internet of the past events were simply incredible. In class we spoke about certain interviews and evidence such as photos construct our perception of history in many ways.

My experience of the event relates to the public sphere. The reason I say this is because many people know my brother as a well-known artist, and the after the event, I was getting numerous phone calls asking me about my experience at the highly publicized art magazine release party. In other words, “ I am the brother of a well- known artist.” Overall, this event can be historicized to the many artists who attended. The art magazine release party was a celebration of art from the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment