Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Spring Break

This spring break I visited my boyfriend in South Jersey. I really did not do too much that week except work on some projects and relax. The whole week I meant to go out with him somewhere, but we kept putting it off. Finally on Thursday, we decided to go out. After going to a few stores and eating at a Chinese restaurant, we tried going to the mall. The malls down there close early, so we decided to go to a Borders.

As we pulled up to the Borders and tried to find a parking space, we were surprised at how many people were inside and parked outside. As we walked into the Borders, we saw a sign about the Twilight release party at 10 pm. I turned to my boyfriend to ask what time and day it was, but the answer was apparent as we entered the Borders. As I looked down at my watch, it was 9:38 pm, and when I looked up, I was greeted by a long line of pre-teen girls and their mothers. I turned to my boyfriend with a look of utter horror and pleading in my eyes. Even though my boyfriend was feeling the same way, he was undeterred in his search for the book he *needed* to find.

As I wandered the aisles while my boyfriend went off in search of his book, I felt tension rising in myself and the crowd. A cheery employee of the store would make the announcement every 5 minutes of what time it was and when the Twilight party would begin. at around 9:55 my boyfriend came back empty handed without finding the book we came in search for. We promptly left the store and heard on the way out several frantic parents complaining that they ran out of wristbands for buying the DVD. We got into his car and drove back to his house, having a good laugh.

No doubt that other people in that store probably have a different memory of that night than my own. Although I had seen the movie, I was not interested in buying the DVD. The people in the store were fans, who were probably waiting for this moment all week and were very excited to be there. I, on the other hand, felt a sense of urgency and that I had to rush myself out of the store. The DVD release of Twilight can mostly be described in the public sphere as hate, love, or apathy. My experience in Borders was mostly personal and not the public opinion held by the majority there. If I had not gone to the Borders at that time, I probably would not of remembered it was the DVD release of Twilight and that moment would not be apart of my memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment