Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Yesterday's Atrocities, Today's Lessons

In Traces of the Trade, Katrina Browne sets out to make up for the atrocities her ancestors committed against an incredible amount of Africans.  She undertakes a completely noble and altruistic act, and I respect her for the generosity and legitimate concern she shows.  However, the task she sets out to perform is impossible.  No matter what she or the White race does, the fact that her ancestors bought and sold humans to be worked to death will never change.  The scars left on the African American population will never fully heal, and it is insane to think that actions taken place today could somehow "make up" for the incredible damages done to people 200 years ago.  

The mood of the entire film gave me a very unsettling feeling.  It seems that Browne's ultimate intent is to pay back all African Americans for their pain and the pain of their ancestors so that we can get past the horrors of slavery and move forward into the future.  This motive makes me sick to my stomach.  No matter what is done today, nothing could erase the horrors of America's past and the past of its guilty citizens, especially money!  The entire history of slavery should never be forgotten so that we can show future generations the horrible truth about our nation's past, helping to ensure that it is never repeated.  I firmly believe that the mistakes of the past can be the lessons of today.  Furthermore, paying reparations could actually help if they are given out in an intelligent and thoughtful manner (which I'm not sure is even possible), but they should never be seen as a final payback allowing White people to say confidently to Blacks, "Now we're even."

4 comments:

  1. Christopher,
    This is a really interesting point. I can identify with what you're saying when you explain how "nothing could erase the horrors of America's past". I agree that it's completely impossible to make up for the past and what happened to people so many years ago. I also wonder how people could possibly think that there may be a way to fix all the problems through money. I also wonder how you could fix this problem at all. In truth, I don't believe this problem can be "fixed", when it has clearly been over for years now. Though African Americans still struggle to break free of oppressive ways of thinking and overcoming stereotypes and racism, there is also one important fact to consider: slavery is abolished. There is no more slavery and I believe almost everyone is grateful for that. I wonder where we as African Americans would be if our ancestors had not been brought to America. Now, don't get me wrong, I am in no means justifying the extremely disgusting and harsh treatment that was inflicted on Africans so many years ago, but I do wonder as to who I would be if it were not for my ancestors being brought here so many years ago. Or if I would be at all. To get back to your point, there definitely can not be an immediate solution to the hardships caused by slavery, I believe too because money can not solve everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you both Chris and Na'ilah, I definitely did not like the transition of the film from that of bringing to light these atrocities to how people today can reimburse African-Americans for their treatment across 300 years. Browne states that there could be approximately 500,000 descendants of slaves alive today, and when I heard this fact I could not fathom how anyone would see it fit to simply pay these individuals money as a solution. I applaud Katrina for bringing these stories to light, but even suggesting payment as one-and-done problem solver for the deaths of nearly 1.5 million Africans in the Middle Passage is where we differ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you both Chris and Na'ilah, I definitely did not like the transition of the film from that of bringing to light these atrocities to how people today can reimburse African-Americans for their treatment across 300 years. Browne states that there could be approximately 500,000 descendants of slaves alive today, and when I heard this fact I could not fathom how anyone would see it fit to simply pay these individuals money as a solution. I applaud Katrina for bringing these stories to light, but even suggesting payment as one-and-done problem solver for the deaths of nearly 1.5 million Africans in the Middle Passage is where we differ.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure Browne's motive in the film was to pay African Americans back for the pain of slavery and loss they faced in history. I think she was more interested in exploring her and her family's more personal involvement and to bring up questions about responsibility and guilt - one's which I think she realized and shows are incredibly difficult to answer (if they can be answered at all, and I'm not sure if she knows or claims to know if they can be).

    I'm not sure if reparations need to be or should be in the form of individual payment, though I can't say I know what form they should take. I think, though, that understanding through dialogue is a vital step - and by that I mean both a historical and current understanding of slavery and oppression between Africans, African Americans, and whites (and everyone outside of and in-between those distinctions). Although slavery has been abolished, many of the ideologically racist legacies are alive today, and have become very much institutionalized politically, economically, and socially. Through understandings of those legacies and real-life practices, we need to begin a deconstruction both within our personal lives and in government and business practices. You can't ever take back what you've done, and I'm not so sure if you can ever "make up for it," but I do think that you can chose respectful, understanding, and just ways to live today.

    ReplyDelete