Thursday, April 16, 2009

Rwanda; Seven Genocide Survivors Mysteriously Murdered in Last Eight Months

This article struck me as interesting because of its relatedness to Malkki's work on the people of Kigoma in their search for an "identity" that did not revolve around that of a "refugee". As the title suggests, the article describes a number of murders that took place involving Rwanda Genocide Survivors. This struck me as interesting because Malkki's work immediately brought about sudden realization. In reading Chapter Four of Malkki's book Purity and Exile, i found that the people that migrated to Kigoma were searching for an identity that did not involve being a 'refugee' or, for that matter, being 'Hutu'. From the examples in the text, I could minimally understand this, but in reading the title of this article, it brought a clear focus on the question of identity. From this article, I could see the importance in hiding one's identity. Now, as I read the article, I cringed at the horrible ways in which the people were murdered and wondered how people could act in such a way? As I continued to read, I thought about the title and it struck me to look at the date. What was really interesting was that it was dated September 4th of 2008. I wonder now... how could people that testified about something that happened in 1992, still have to live in fear in 2008? It then occurred to me that Identity can mean saving your life. With the refugee peoples in Kigoma, they often talked about switching between identities and not staying true to one particular identity. It seems to me that in a situation such as this one, it becomes important to change your identity at the cost of your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment